East Carolina Pirates Logo

East Carolina Pirates Logo
The old East Carolina Pirates logo introduced in 1988 featured a pirate holding a saber in his mouth. In the 1999 logo, the name of the team was included. The pirate’s head moved over the lettering, while the saber grew larger and moved under it.

Meaning and history

East Carolina Pirates logo history


In 2004, the pirate’s face became the only element of the logo. The 2014 East Carolina Pirates logo again features the same hat. Only now, it is not the pirate but a skull wearing it.

East Carolina Pirates basketball


The men’s basketball team has competed in the NAIA National Tournament twice. They have appeared in the NCAA Tournament twice, too. Four of the ex-Pirates reached the NBA level. The head coach is Joe Dooley.
The women’s team, the Lady Pirates, have competed in NCAA Women’s Division Tournament twice. Their first season was in 1969. The head coach is Kim McNeill. Both the men’s and women’s teams play their home games in Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum.

East Carolina Pirates football


Since their first season in 1931, the men’s team has won two C-USA championships. Over twenty players have been named football All-Americans. The position of head coach is occupied by Mike Houston. Their home arena is the on-campus Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.