St. George Illawarra Dragons Logo

St. George Illawarra Dragons logo
The St. George Illawarra Dragons logo comprises indications on the two teams that formed this joint venture.

Meaning and history

St. George Illawarra Dragons logo history


The club was created in 1998 as a joint venture between the St. George Dragons (est. 1921) and the Illawarra Steelers (est. 1982). It played its first game in the National Rugby League in 1999. It remains the only cross-city club in the NRL.

Symbol

St. George Illawarra Dragons symbol
The joint-venture adopted a logo, which was based mainly on that of the St. George Dragons. Only a couple of notable updates were made. The most important one was that the word “Illawarra” was added below the knight. Also, the brownish outline of the shield was replaced by the red one.

Emblem

St. George Illawarra Dragons emblem
Apart from this, the St. George Illawarra Dragons logo looked exactly like the old St. George Dragons logo. You could see the familiar black knight on a prancing horse, and a white dragon on the forefront. On the background, there was a red shield with a thick white border and a thin red border. Above the knight’s head, the lettering “St. George” in red capitals was placed.

Colors

St. George Illawarra Dragons
In terms of the palette, the merger of the St. George Dragons and Illawarra Steelers was quite easy to represent as the logos of both the clubs shared red, white, and black.