4H Logo

4H Logo

Although the 4H logo has been modified more than once throughout its more than 100-year history, this has been an evolution rather than a revolution. The main element – a four-leaf clover – has always stayed the same.

Meaning and history 4H Logo

logo 4H history

The birth of the 4-H program was the result of the work of a few people in different parts of the US. It was mainly concerned with rural children. One of the personalities connected with the creation of the 4-H program was B. Graham, who worked in Clark County, Ohio.

One more center of the newly-formed youth movement was Douglas County, Minnesota, where T.A. Erickson invited children to after-school activities connected with agriculture. Unlike most organizations for children of the time, the predecessors of the 4-H clubs had something to offer not only for boys, but for girls either.

Birth of the 4-H symbol

4-H symbol

The earliest emblem for the club depicting a clover pin with the letter “H” on every leaf was created by Jessie Field Shambaugh in 1910, two years before the name “4-H” was adopted. Why did Shambaugh put an “H” on each of the clover leaves? It was because the club’s earliest motto was as follows: ‘head, heart, hands, and health’, hence the name of the program.

How did the 4-H emblem become official?

4-H emblem

However, it was not until 1924 that the clubs were joined together and acquired one and the same name. As soon as they were united in a single network, the clover emblem received the status of its only official emblem.

Font of the 4H Logo

Font 4H Logo

The 4H logo features a simple sans-serif typeface. There is nothing special about any part of the letter “H”, except that it is perfectly legible and clear.

Color of the 4H Logo

Color 4H Logo

The saturated, natural shade of green used in the 4-H logo reminds the color of the leaves and grass. This helps to create a link with rural life, nature, and health, which have always been a part of the club’s core values. The white background symbolizes purity.